Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Veteran treasure hunter solves the last 'Wyoming Riddle'
Tue May 1, 2012
Ex-Detroit, Wayne County finance chief Marshall dies
DETROIT (AP) - Ex-Detroit and Wayne County financial chief Bella Marshall has died. She was 62.
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano says that Marshall died Tuesday morning at her home but didn't give the cause.
Marshall served as Detroit's finance director under longtime Mayor Coleman Young. She later served as Wayne County's chief financial officer and chief operating officer.
Marshall was married to the late casino promoter Don Barden but was in the midst of a contentious divorce when he died in May 2011.
Barden made millions with cable TV franchises in Detroit and the suburbs and later owned casinos in Indiana, Las Vegas, Colorado and Mississippi.
He and Marshall had feuded in recent years over Barden's ability to manage his assets.