Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Tue May 1, 2012
Ex-Detroit, Wayne County finance chief Marshall dies
DETROIT (AP) - Ex-Detroit and Wayne County financial chief Bella Marshall has died. She was 62.
Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano says that Marshall died Tuesday morning at her home but didn't give the cause.
Marshall served as Detroit's finance director under longtime Mayor Coleman Young. She later served as Wayne County's chief financial officer and chief operating officer.
Marshall was married to the late casino promoter Don Barden but was in the midst of a contentious divorce when he died in May 2011.
Barden made millions with cable TV franchises in Detroit and the suburbs and later owned casinos in Indiana, Las Vegas, Colorado and Mississippi.
He and Marshall had feuded in recent years over Barden's ability to manage his assets.