Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- The Detroit Free Press endorsement shows our system of government is broken
- Here's why so few people get flu shots
- Snyder and Schauer both wrong; potential revenue lost to schools is a billion dollars a year
Wed May 15, 2013
Fatal plane crash survivors appear in 'Sole Survivor'
If you lived in Michigan in the summer of 1987, you might remember one news story that was set apart from the others.
It was the evening of August 16 when Northwest flight 255 took off from Detroit Metro Airport, headed to Phoenix. Moments after the plane took off, the MD-80 tilted slightly -- enough for the left wing to clip a light pole, shear the top off of a rental car building, and crash where Middlebelt meets I-94.
154 people aboard the plane and two on the ground were killed. But there was one survivor: four-year-old Cecilia Cichan.
More than 25 years later, Cichan spoke for the first time about the crash. She's the subject of a film called 'Sole Survivor,' a documentary that features four people who were the only survivors of plane crashes.
Michigan Radio's Cynthia Canty spoke with the director, Ky Dickens.
To hear the full story, click the link above.
Arts & Culture