Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Mon April 11, 2011
Fiat to acquire another stake in Chrysler this week
Fiat could increase its ownership stake in Chrysler this week.
Eventually, Fiat hopes to own a majority of the Detroit automaker.
In 2009, the federal government agreed to give Fiat 20% of Chrysler in return for taking over management of the Detroit automaker. The deal also set up incremental steps by which Fiat could reach 51%.
Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne says he expects Fiat’s stake to grow to 30% this week, after meeting a requirement to increase sales of Chrysler vehicles outside North America.
Fiat still has to pay back seven and a half billion dollars in loans to the U.S. and Canadian governments before it can gain a majority interest in Chrysler.
Chrysler has been owned by a foreign company before – Daimler, from 1998 to 2007.