Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- If its name is any indication, this winter storm headed for Michigan could be really fierce
Thu August 25, 2011
Fire at Marathon oil refinery in Detroit contained
There was a fire this morning at a Marathon oil refinery in southwest Detroit. The Associated Press reports the fire was contained by the company.
Authorities say a fire at Marathon's southwest Detroit oil refinery has been contained by the company's on-site crews.
Some evacuations of contractors were reported following the Thursday morning fire, but people were returning to work.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Marathon officials gave the Detroit Fire Department a "courtesy call" at 8 a.m. this morning:
Smears of dark smoke could be seen from Detroit’s east side.
No Detroit firefighters or equipment were dispatched.
Marathon officials declined to release details of the fire, but said contractors working in the area left the scene but are now returning. No injuries were reported.