Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Thu August 25, 2011
Fire at Marathon oil refinery in Detroit contained
There was a fire this morning at a Marathon oil refinery in southwest Detroit. The Associated Press reports the fire was contained by the company.
Authorities say a fire at Marathon's southwest Detroit oil refinery has been contained by the company's on-site crews.
Some evacuations of contractors were reported following the Thursday morning fire, but people were returning to work.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Marathon officials gave the Detroit Fire Department a "courtesy call" at 8 a.m. this morning:
Smears of dark smoke could be seen from Detroit’s east side.
No Detroit firefighters or equipment were dispatched.
Marathon officials declined to release details of the fire, but said contractors working in the area left the scene but are now returning. No injuries were reported.