Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Here's how Michigan taxpayers came to own the designs for the original World Trade Center
- Revisiting the origin of the "Michigan Left"
- What's behind Michigan Republicans' big turnaround on medical marijuana?
- Decades after a summer job up north, this man writes an insider account of Mackinac Island
- Gay teacher who says pregnancy got her fired speaks to Stateside
Thu August 25, 2011
Fire at Marathon oil refinery in Detroit contained
There was a fire this morning at a Marathon oil refinery in southwest Detroit. The Associated Press reports the fire was contained by the company.
Authorities say a fire at Marathon's southwest Detroit oil refinery has been contained by the company's on-site crews.
Some evacuations of contractors were reported following the Thursday morning fire, but people were returning to work.
The Detroit Free Press reports that Marathon officials gave the Detroit Fire Department a "courtesy call" at 8 a.m. this morning:
Smears of dark smoke could be seen from Detroit’s east side.
No Detroit firefighters or equipment were dispatched.
Marathon officials declined to release details of the fire, but said contractors working in the area left the scene but are now returning. No injuries were reported.