Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Politics & Government
Fri September 27, 2013
Flint residents paint a different picture of 'the most violent city in America'
There's no way to capture a town, or a place, or a person through one story.
It's just not possible. It's what Nigerian storyteller Chimamanda Ngozi calls "the danger of a single story."
People in Flint live with a single story told over and over about their city - that it's "the most violent city in the U.S."
A Tumblr page has emerged painting a different image of the city.
"The Most Violent City in America" blog says it's "inspired by numerous photo essays captured by outsiders..."
This blog was created by a local city resident to juxtapose the negative perception of one of America's great cities.
It features people like this:
And photos with sarcastic photo captions -- like this one of revealing a "hard, street-worn resident tagging a wall":
The blog encourages people to submit their own images of Flint.