Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
Sat September 15, 2012
Flint to resume tearing down blighted homes
The city of Flint is restarting its derelict home demolition program.
The program was stalled earlier this year because of a lack of money.
Flint’s Emergency Financial Manager Ed Kurtz says the city plans to use some federal grant money to tear down abandoned homes that have become public safety problems.
“Hopefully, with the 2.3 million we can maybe get somewhere…around 300 homes,” says Kurtz, “Just to put it into perspective….there’s probably some ten thousand properties in the city that would be subject to demolition.”
The money comes from a federal grant originally intended to build new homes, not tear down old ones.
The New Flint Forest