Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Thu July 7, 2011
Ford Auditorium to come down this Friday
10,000 buildings by the end of his first term in 2013
That's how many buildings Detroit Mayor Bing wants to bring down.
This Friday, the city says one of the 10,000 will be a big one - Ford Auditorium, former home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
Ford Auditorium's date with the wrecking ball has been set for Friday afternoon, according to a release from the city of Detroit.
Earlier this week, workers removed the pipe organ from the 55-year-old structure with a then-undetermined demolition date. Mayor Dave Bing will make some brief remarks at 11 a.m. before demolition begins.
Here's a look inside the Auditorium from WXYZ: