Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Tue May 17, 2011
Ford to expand engine plant in India
Ford Motor Company plans to expand one of its engine plants in India.
From the Associated Press:
Ford Motor Co. says it will spend $72 million to expand an engine plant in India to support sales and export growth.
The company said today the investment in its Chennai engine plant will create more than 300 jobs. Ford plans to run the factory on three shifts per day.
When the expansion is complete in mid-2012, the factory will be able to build 80,000 more diesel engines per year than it does now. Currently the plant can make about 250,000 gasoline and diesel engines.
The company says it plans to introduce eight new models in India in the next four years.
Ford employs approximately 76,000 workers in North America, and 83,000 workers overseas (European Union, South America, and Asia/Pacific/Africa).