Ford recalls 2013 Escapes with 1.6-liter engines

Jul 19, 2012

Ford Motor Company issued a media release today, alerting owners of a safety recall on 2013 Escapes with 1.6-liter engines. The release says the model has faulty fuel lines that could leak and cause a fire.

The car maker advises that its affected customers stop driving the cars immediately in order to allow dealerships to pick them up to remedy the problem, which will take about an hour, according to the statement.

More from the advisory:

"We have identified an issue and are taking quick actions in the best interest of our customers,” said Ray Nevi, assistant director, Ford Automotive Safety Office. “Our intensive investigation and testing has identified the area of concern and we are moving as quickly as possible to repair vehicles for our customers. In the meantime, it is extremely important that affected customers not ignore this recall and immediately contact their dealer."

This recall affects about 11,500 cars in the United States and Canada.  Models equipped with the 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected.

This is the second recall on the new Escape this month, Forbes reports:

Last week, Ford recalled more than 10,000 units of the vehicle to fix a carpet issue that could give drivers a problem reaching the brake pedal. In addition, the Center for Automotive Safety has been pressing federal regulators to force a recall of as many as 320,000 Escapes from the 2002 through 2004 model years for the possibility of unintended acceleration following an earlier recall.

-Elaine Ezekiel, Michigan Radio Newsroom