Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Sun March 17, 2013
Former Detroit city council member and ex-con Monica Conyers working at Detroit auto shop
DETROIT (AP) - Ex-convict and ex-Detroit City Council member Monica Conyers is working at an auto body shop while serving the remainder of her federal prison sentence for corruption.
The wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers has been working about 21/2 months for Metrotech Collision in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood.
Shop owner Sam Hussein tells The Detroit News that the 48-year-old "is doing a great job" and working about 30 hours a week.
Federal authorities let Conyers move to Detroit Jan. 25 while finishing a 37-month prison sentence that ends May 16. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit bribery.
The job includes answering phones, administration and working with insurance providers.
Getting a job was a condition of Conyers' release, and Hussein says she's also forbidden to speak to the news media.