Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Sun March 17, 2013
Former Detroit city council member and ex-con Monica Conyers working at Detroit auto shop
DETROIT (AP) - Ex-convict and ex-Detroit City Council member Monica Conyers is working at an auto body shop while serving the remainder of her federal prison sentence for corruption.
The wife of U.S. Rep. John Conyers has been working about 21/2 months for Metrotech Collision in Detroit's Corktown neighborhood.
Shop owner Sam Hussein tells The Detroit News that the 48-year-old "is doing a great job" and working about 30 hours a week.
Federal authorities let Conyers move to Detroit Jan. 25 while finishing a 37-month prison sentence that ends May 16. She pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit bribery.
The job includes answering phones, administration and working with insurance providers.
Getting a job was a condition of Conyers' release, and Hussein says she's also forbidden to speak to the news media.