Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Mon January 3, 2011
Former State Representative Kate Ebli dies
Former State Representative Kate Ebli died yesterday after a recurrence with breast cancer.
The Democrat served 56th District of Michigan (Monroe County) for two terms. She lost her bid for a third term in the November elections to Republican Dale Zorn.
The Monroe Democratic Party released a statement:
"We are extremely saddened with the news that State Representative Kate Ebli has lost her courageously fought battle with cancer. It is a sad day for Kate's family and also for everyone that knew her."
The Detroit Free Press reported that Ebli was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 after a routine mammogram. The cancer went into remission after treatments, but recurred recently.
She is survived by her husband, Nick Ebli, and by her 22 year-old daughter, Victoria. Officials of the Monroe Democratic Party say they will post funeral arrangements on their website when they are finalized by Ebli's family.