Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Mon January 3, 2011
Former State Representative Kate Ebli dies
Former State Representative Kate Ebli died yesterday after a recurrence with breast cancer.
The Democrat served 56th District of Michigan (Monroe County) for two terms. She lost her bid for a third term in the November elections to Republican Dale Zorn.
The Monroe Democratic Party released a statement:
"We are extremely saddened with the news that State Representative Kate Ebli has lost her courageously fought battle with cancer. It is a sad day for Kate's family and also for everyone that knew her."
The Detroit Free Press reported that Ebli was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 after a routine mammogram. The cancer went into remission after treatments, but recurred recently.
She is survived by her husband, Nick Ebli, and by her 22 year-old daughter, Victoria. Officials of the Monroe Democratic Party say they will post funeral arrangements on their website when they are finalized by Ebli's family.