Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
Mon January 3, 2011
Former State Representative Kate Ebli dies
Former State Representative Kate Ebli died yesterday after a recurrence with breast cancer.
The Democrat served 56th District of Michigan (Monroe County) for two terms. She lost her bid for a third term in the November elections to Republican Dale Zorn.
The Monroe Democratic Party released a statement:
"We are extremely saddened with the news that State Representative Kate Ebli has lost her courageously fought battle with cancer. It is a sad day for Kate's family and also for everyone that knew her."
The Detroit Free Press reported that Ebli was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 after a routine mammogram. The cancer went into remission after treatments, but recurred recently.
She is survived by her husband, Nick Ebli, and by her 22 year-old daughter, Victoria. Officials of the Monroe Democratic Party say they will post funeral arrangements on their website when they are finalized by Ebli's family.