Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Tue September 20, 2011
Glasses stolen off of Ernie Harwell statue at Comerica Park in Detroit
Someone has stolen the bronze glasses off of the Ernie Harwell statue inside Comerica Park. Officials from the Detroit Tigers noticed the missing glasses last July.
Neal Rubin, columnist for the Detroit News, writes "if you wouldn't use a crowbar on Ernie Harwell's face, you shouldn't use one on his statue, either.":
Someone pried the glasses from his sculpture at Comerica Park, a theft both brazen and bronzen.
A new pair should be welded into place by Thursday, when the Detroit Tigers play Baltimore in the opener of a seven-game home stand, but please:
Can't we keep our hands and levers to ourselves?
Given his status as both an idol and an artwork, you'd think Harwell would be immune to vandalism.
Artist Omri Amrany says the new glasses will be attached "as strongly as possible."
Rubin writes that Amrany "once had to replace bronze broadcaster Harry Caray's stolen microphone in Chicago."