Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
GM plans electric cadillac
Thu August 18, 2011
GM brings back electric, extended-range Cadillac program
General Motors has confirmed that it will develop a Cadillac version of its flagship Chevy Volt.
Like the Volt, the Cadillac ELR will run on electricity made by a T-shaped lithium-ion battery, or a gasoline generator.
The car has had an on-again, off-again history.
As a concept, the then-named Cadillac Converj made a big splash at the 2009 North American International Auto Show.
GM CEO Dan Akerson says he doesn’t know why the program was suspended. The car came up at a meeting shortly after he took charge of GM.
"At the end of the day, everybody said, 'well, we liked it.' I certainly liked it. It’s a differentiator in a brand that we’re going to try to take globally. So we though this might be the fuse to start the new Cadillac saga on a global basis not a north American basis."
GM plans to have Chevrolet and Cadillac be its global brands. Other brands like Buick, GMC, and Opel will be regional brands.