Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
GM plans electric cadillac
Thu August 18, 2011
GM brings back electric, extended-range Cadillac program
General Motors has confirmed that it will develop a Cadillac version of its flagship Chevy Volt.
Like the Volt, the Cadillac ELR will run on electricity made by a T-shaped lithium-ion battery, or a gasoline generator.
The car has had an on-again, off-again history.
As a concept, the then-named Cadillac Converj made a big splash at the 2009 North American International Auto Show.
GM CEO Dan Akerson says he doesn’t know why the program was suspended. The car came up at a meeting shortly after he took charge of GM.
"At the end of the day, everybody said, 'well, we liked it.' I certainly liked it. It’s a differentiator in a brand that we’re going to try to take globally. So we though this might be the fuse to start the new Cadillac saga on a global basis not a north American basis."
GM plans to have Chevrolet and Cadillac be its global brands. Other brands like Buick, GMC, and Opel will be regional brands.