Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Fri September 23, 2011
GOP candidates head to Mackinac Island
On the heels of last night’s Republican presidential debate, Texas Governor Rick Perry and Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney are heading to Mackinac Island. The two GOP presidential candidates are scheduled to attend the Michigan Republican Leadership Conference this weekend.
As Rick Pluta tell us, it’s a time for Republicans to brainstorm their policies and political messages:
"It's where half of the political culture is going to be. [They'll] be developing the platforms and messages that they're going to be coming back to us with next year... to try and make the case that it ought to be another Republican year."
Pluta notes that fundraising also plays an important part at the conference:
"Conceivably its to network and to plot strategy but, it's on a resort island, and it's really for Republicans who have the money or the means to go up there so, as you can imagine, there's a lot of fundraising... as the individual GOP campaigns figure out how they're going to finance their efforts."
Governor Snyder will address the conference this evening. The events wrap up on Sunday.