Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Fri April 29, 2011
Gov. Snyder may hear jeers during Saturday's commencement address at U of M
Governor Rick Snyder may hear some jeers when he speaks at this week’s commencement ceremony at the University of Michigan. Unions and other groups plan to rally outside Michigan Stadium during the governor’s speech.
Rob Gillezeau is the president of the Graduate Employees Organization. His group and others plan to voice their displeasure over cuts to education funding and the voiding of union contracts.
“We think it’s a great opportunity for the people of Ann Arbor and the surrounding area…the governor’s basically coming to them…and it’s an opportunity to make our voices heard by the governor as to why we oppose his polices.”
This is not the first time a U of M commencement speaker has drawn protests. Last year, several hundred people picketed outside during President Obama’s commencement address in Ann Arbor.