Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Why this 20 year old is getting a mastectomy, and why she's not alone
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Wed February 9, 2011
Grand Marais wins Readers Digest competition; Albion, St. Johns among top vote-getters
A tiny Upper Peninsula community is the winner of the Reader’s Digest national “We Hear You America” contest.
About 300 people live in Grand Marais, a Lake Superior summertime tourist destination.
Jack Hubbard is Burt Township supervisor and oversees Grand Marais.
He says the $40,000 prize will go toward replacing the harbor’s breakwater.
Hubbard also says he was amazed that voters from two Michigan other cities helped put his community win.
"I want to tell you something: We love Albion and St. Johns, because we got bumped into second place a week before this thing ended, and those guys came and voted for us to get back into first place,” Hubbard says.
Albion finished fourth and St. Johns came in sixth. Each will get $10,000.