Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Thu August 26, 2010
Granholm appoints new Supreme Court Judge
(Kathy Barks Hoffman - AP)
Governor Granholm named Appeals Court Judge Alton Thomas Davis to the Michigan Supreme Court. The move comes the same day that Justice Elizabeth Weaver resigned.
Weaver had been unlikely to get the Republican nomination for a third term and planned to run as an independent, but she resigned Thursday on the condition that the governor appoint a northern Michigan judge to replace her.
The appointment doesn't require the approval of the state Legislature.
Granholm appointed Davis to the Appeals Court in 2005.