Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Sun July 14, 2013
Group plans Detroit protest against George Zimmerman jury verdict
DETROIT (AP) - Several groups say they're holding a rally at a downtown Detroit park to protest the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida.
The Coalition Against Police Brutality says it and other groups are holding the rally at 6 p.m. Sunday at Grand Circus Park, which is near Comerica Park and Ford Field.
The group says the action is a protest against the "egregious jury verdict in favor of George Zimmerman."
A jury of six women on Saturday acquitted Zimmerman of second degree murder and manslaughter in the February 2012 killing of Martin.
Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer and says he shot the unarmed teenager in self-defense.