Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Sun July 14, 2013
Group plans Detroit protest against George Zimmerman jury verdict
DETROIT (AP) - Several groups say they're holding a rally at a downtown Detroit park to protest the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida.
The Coalition Against Police Brutality says it and other groups are holding the rally at 6 p.m. Sunday at Grand Circus Park, which is near Comerica Park and Ford Field.
The group says the action is a protest against the "egregious jury verdict in favor of George Zimmerman."
A jury of six women on Saturday acquitted Zimmerman of second degree murder and manslaughter in the February 2012 killing of Martin.
Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer and says he shot the unarmed teenager in self-defense.