Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Sun July 14, 2013
Group plans Detroit protest against George Zimmerman jury verdict
DETROIT (AP) - Several groups say they're holding a rally at a downtown Detroit park to protest the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida.
The Coalition Against Police Brutality says it and other groups are holding the rally at 6 p.m. Sunday at Grand Circus Park, which is near Comerica Park and Ford Field.
The group says the action is a protest against the "egregious jury verdict in favor of George Zimmerman."
A jury of six women on Saturday acquitted Zimmerman of second degree murder and manslaughter in the February 2012 killing of Martin.
Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer and says he shot the unarmed teenager in self-defense.