Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Michigan's campaign for governor gets weird as Republicans deploy spyglasses
Wed July 20, 2011
Heat wave causes school closures in Detroit
Many students attending summer school in Detroit will have the day off today.
From the Associated Press:
Detroit's school district says it's closing more than 70 schools in the afternoon that don't have air conditioning as a heat wave continues.
The Detroit Public Schools made the announcement Wednesday morning.
The district says power outages also forced the closure of three schools Wednesday. And heat and mechanical problems closed two others.
A DPS spokesmen said more than half of the school district's summer population of 38,000 will be affected. The district has also opened 13 cooling centers.