Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Wed July 20, 2011
Heat wave causes school closures in Detroit
Many students attending summer school in Detroit will have the day off today.
From the Associated Press:
Detroit's school district says it's closing more than 70 schools in the afternoon that don't have air conditioning as a heat wave continues.
The Detroit Public Schools made the announcement Wednesday morning.
The district says power outages also forced the closure of three schools Wednesday. And heat and mechanical problems closed two others.
A DPS spokesmen said more than half of the school district's summer population of 38,000 will be affected. The district has also opened 13 cooling centers.