Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Tribal sovereignty at issue in US Supreme Court case out of Michigan
Wed July 20, 2011
Heat wave causes school closures in Detroit
Many students attending summer school in Detroit will have the day off today.
From the Associated Press:
Detroit's school district says it's closing more than 70 schools in the afternoon that don't have air conditioning as a heat wave continues.
The Detroit Public Schools made the announcement Wednesday morning.
The district says power outages also forced the closure of three schools Wednesday. And heat and mechanical problems closed two others.
A DPS spokesmen said more than half of the school district's summer population of 38,000 will be affected. The district has also opened 13 cooling centers.