Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- Those who want to outlaw publications over sexually explicit ads should study Constitution first
Wed July 20, 2011
Heat wave causes school closures in Detroit
Many students attending summer school in Detroit will have the day off today.
From the Associated Press:
Detroit's school district says it's closing more than 70 schools in the afternoon that don't have air conditioning as a heat wave continues.
The Detroit Public Schools made the announcement Wednesday morning.
The district says power outages also forced the closure of three schools Wednesday. And heat and mechanical problems closed two others.
A DPS spokesmen said more than half of the school district's summer population of 38,000 will be affected. The district has also opened 13 cooling centers.