Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Former Detroit broadcaster was inspiration for 'Ron Burgundy'
- Do you live in a 'Super ZIP?' Here are Michigan's top 5 wealthiest ZIP codes
- Muskegon is home to America's tallest, singing Christmas tree
- Pressure builds on Michigan Football as Athletic Department's budget grows
- This is what it sounds like inside Michigan's largest wind farm
Fri December 3, 2010
Helen Thomas in Dearborn; defends controversial comments
Helen Thomas had worked for United Press International for 57 years. She was an opinion columnist for Hearst Newspapers from 2000 to 2010. She spent much of her career covering the White House.
She was let go earlier this year after she was briefly interviewed by Rabbi David Nesenoff of RabbiLive.com. After asking Thomas whether she had any comments on Israel, Thomas said, "tell them to get the hell out of Palestine."
The Detroit News reports that Helen Thomas, who grew up in Detroit, gave a speech saying:
"I stand by it. I told the truth," the 90-year-old Thomas told reporters shortly before a speech at a diversity conference Thursday. "I paid a price but it's worth it to speak the truth." During a speech that drew quick condemnation from Jews, Thomas took her remarks further. "Congress, the White House and Hollywood, Wall Street are owned by the Zionists," Thomas said. "No question."
Thomas spoke at the eighth-annual "Images and Perceptions of Arab American" conference in Dearborn.