Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
Fri July 22, 2011
Here comes the bride...down the football field!
The University of Michigan football stadium is cashing in on the ever-growing wedding industry.
The Big House is now available for weddings.
Couples can pay $6,000 to get ready in the home and visitor locker rooms, and then head to the field for an hour-long ceremony.
Ana Skidmore owns Two Foot Creative, a wedding planning company in Dexter. She thinks the stadium will be a popular choice for "former players, anyone that’s a die hard Michigan fan."
If the bride and groom and 500 of their closest friends want to hold an indoor reception at the stadium, they can do so in the fourth floor suites, which costs $9,500 to rent. If couples want to have their reception on the field, Skidmore says it will cost a lot more, because you have to bring in a floor and tents.
“The floor alone is going to run around $15,000 - $20,000, and then the rental and the food and the tents and everything else. So you’re looking at a good $150,000 - $200,000 wedding budget.”
The first Big House wedding took place over the Fourth of July weekend.
Michigan’s a little late to the game…Spartan fans have been able to get married at their stadium for about five years now.