Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
Fri July 22, 2011
Here comes the bride...down the football field!
The University of Michigan football stadium is cashing in on the ever-growing wedding industry.
The Big House is now available for weddings.
Couples can pay $6,000 to get ready in the home and visitor locker rooms, and then head to the field for an hour-long ceremony.
Ana Skidmore owns Two Foot Creative, a wedding planning company in Dexter. She thinks the stadium will be a popular choice for "former players, anyone that’s a die hard Michigan fan."
If the bride and groom and 500 of their closest friends want to hold an indoor reception at the stadium, they can do so in the fourth floor suites, which costs $9,500 to rent. If couples want to have their reception on the field, Skidmore says it will cost a lot more, because you have to bring in a floor and tents.
“The floor alone is going to run around $15,000 - $20,000, and then the rental and the food and the tents and everything else. So you’re looking at a good $150,000 - $200,000 wedding budget.”
The first Big House wedding took place over the Fourth of July weekend.
Michigan’s a little late to the game…Spartan fans have been able to get married at their stadium for about five years now.