Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Fri March 11, 2011
Highland Park ex-treasurer charged with embezzlment
A former Highland Park charter school treasurer named Shantell Bell has been charged with embezzlement, the Associated Press reports:
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette's office says in a release that 37-year-old Shantell Bell was arrested Friday and was expected to be arraigned in Highland Park District Court.
Authorities say a $25,000 check request was made in 2009 for textbooks at George Washington Carver Academy.
The money later was paid to an Ohio title company. Bell's ex-boyfriend reported it to
the school, which contacted Michigan State Police.
Bell no longer works at the school.
Defense attorney Karri Mitchell declined Friday to comment on the case.
Schuette made comments to the Detroit News following the arrest:
"The theft of resources from Michigan's children will not be tolerated"
"We must root out corruption at all levels of government to ensure the public is served. Nobody will get a free pass when they break the law."
Bell's arraignment was expected to occur this afternoon, in the 30th District Court.