Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Sat November 27, 2010
Holiday shopping moves online
Michigan retailers have been busy this weekend with the beginning of the holiday shopping season. But Monday could be a very big day as well.
The National Retail Federation coined the term ‘Cyber Monday’ five years ago to describe the growing trend of holiday shoppers flooding store websites on the Monday following thanksgiving. A recent survey found more shoppers planned to shop online Monday than stand in line on the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Tom Scott is with the Michigan Retailers Association. He says online sales are still only a small part of most retailers’ business.
"While they are still a small part of overall retail sales, they are definitely growing more important," says Scott.
According to one survey, nearly 90 percent of online retailers are offering Cyber Monday promotions this year.