Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Tue June 11, 2013
How long do you wash your hands? Be honest.
This morning, Rebecca Williams reported on the MSU research that found we are still falling down on the job when it comes to washing our hands.
I say "still" because these kinds of studies have been done in the past.
...when it comes to people not washing their hands at all, there’s a bigger gender gap. “We have 15% of the men who leave the restroom without washing their hands, and in terms of women it’s only 7%.” Nice work guys.
On top of that, 35% of men just wet their hands with water and didn’t use any soap. 15% of women did that.
Keeping in mind that self-reporting is not all that reliable (that's why the MSU researchers were hanging out in public bathrooms), we're curious about how long you think you wash your hands.
Singing the Happy Birthday song twice will lead you to the recommenced 15 to 20 seconds. Or if that song isn't your cup of tea, OneRepublic offers this alternative:
The Environment Report