Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Michigan Athletic Department embarrasses while trying to fill seats
- Honeybees collaborate with Kalamazoo artist on ArtPrize exhibit
- Who is Mark Schauer, really?
- Does the UAW's victory in Indiana signal the end of the two-tier wage system?
- Truth Squad rules "flagrant foul" on teachers' union ad, warns Snyder campaign
Mon March 17, 2014
Howell students reprimanded for racist Tweets
HOWELL – High school officials in Howell say they've reprimanded students involved in posting racist messages on Twitter after the school's nearly all-white basketball team defeated a team with black and white players.
The Flint Journal reports messages were posted after Howell beat Grand Blanc on Thursday 54-49 in a Class A regional final at Linden High School. The messages made reference to Howell's team being white and included a Ku Klux Klan reference.
Howell High School Principal Jason Schrock says the school "responded to each instance and is moving forward." The Detroit News and WHMI-FM report the students involved weren't affiliated with the school's basketball program. Howell next plays Tuesday.
Grand Blanc Schools Superintendent Norman Abdella says he believes that Howell administrators will appropriately handle the situation.