Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- The Detroit Free Press endorsement shows our system of government is broken
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Snyder and Schauer both wrong; potential revenue lost to schools is a billion dollars a year
- Here's why so few people get flu shots
Tue October 18, 2011
Individuals involved in "Occupy Grand Rapids" on "Here and Now"
39-year-old Richard Ertle and 23-year-old Ryan Gillikin share their thoughts today on WBUR's nationally syndicated "Here and Now" program.
Gillikin graduated recently for Grand Valley State University. He's been protesting with the Grand Rapids group since it began earlier this month. He waits tables in between protests.
Ertle is a student at Grand Rapids Community College studying network administration. I've seen him at the occupy protests downtown every time I've visited or biked by. He freelances for small and medium sized businesses providing networking services.
Ertle and Gillikin both told host Robin Young they don't speak for everyone at the protests, and they don't all agree on why they're protesting. "But we listen to one another," Ertle said, "which is more than what our elected representatives are willing to do."
Here and Now airs on Michigan Radio at 1p.m. weekdays.