Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
Tue October 11, 2011
It's time to get your flu shot (and your kid's too)
Michigan health officials say it’s time to get your flu shot. And they want your children vaccinated too.
You might think flu season is still months away. But you’d be wrong. State health officials say there have already been two confirmed influenza cases in Michigan this year.
"Both of those cases did match the components that were in the vaccine for this year," says Dean Sienko, the interim Chief Medical Executive at the Michigan Department of Human Services.
State health officials are putting extra emphasis on getting children vaccinated against the flu this year. Just over half the children between the ages of 6 months to 4 years old get vaccinated in Michigan. That’s well below the nation average. In fact, Michigan’s ranks fifth from the bottom among the 50 states.