Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Fri June 24, 2011
Kwame Kilpatrick is paroled
The Michigan Parole Board has voted to release former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick from prison.
Kilpatrick went to prison early last year for violating the terms of his probation. A judge found that the ex-mayor hid some of his assets that should have been used to pay a million-dollar restitution order.
The restitution was part of Kilpatrick’s 2008 guilty plea to obstructing justice. He admitted to lying about an affair with one of his aides during a civil trial after text messages revealed explicit details about the relationship.
The parole board’s decision means Kilpatrick could be released as early as July 24 , and he’s asked for permission to join his family in Texas.
Kilpatrick faces a federal corruption trial next year. He and his father are accused of arranging kickbacks and bribes to steer business to certain contractors.