Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Fri August 12, 2011
Lake Michigan receives 'C' grade on new report card
Lake Michigan gets an overall ‘C’ grade on a new report card from the Senate Great Lakes Task Force. Beach water quality and lake water levels got ‘D’ grades, scoring lowest on the report card. Superfund cleanup efforts got a ‘B’ and the fight against invasive species like Asian carp got a ‘C.’
Matt Doss is with the Ann Arbor-based Great Lakes Commission. He says the poor grades will help the state.
“It’s going to help hold us all accountable for improving these grades moving forward,” he said. “We can do better and we need to do better.”
The Great Lakes Commission works to improve the health of all five Great Lakes.
- Amelia Carpenter - Michigan Radio Newsroom