Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Fri August 12, 2011
Lake Michigan receives 'C' grade on new report card
Lake Michigan gets an overall ‘C’ grade on a new report card from the Senate Great Lakes Task Force. Beach water quality and lake water levels got ‘D’ grades, scoring lowest on the report card. Superfund cleanup efforts got a ‘B’ and the fight against invasive species like Asian carp got a ‘C.’
Matt Doss is with the Ann Arbor-based Great Lakes Commission. He says the poor grades will help the state.
“It’s going to help hold us all accountable for improving these grades moving forward,” he said. “We can do better and we need to do better.”
The Great Lakes Commission works to improve the health of all five Great Lakes.
- Amelia Carpenter - Michigan Radio Newsroom