Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Flint's budget woes
Tue November 23, 2010
Layoff notices going out in Flint
The city of Flint has started sending out layoff notices to city employees.
But so far, none of the notices have gone out to those who work in public safety.
The city of Flint is wrestling with an estimated 5 million dollar short fall in this year’s city budget. The mayor wants the city’s unions to absorb about half of that deficit with double digit wage and benefit concessions.
Without the concessions, the city is looking to layoff up to 50 city workers.
Layoff notices went out to temporary and seasonal city workers Monday.
The head of Flint’s police officers’ union says 20 officers could get layoff notices, since talks between the city and union have broken down. Flint firefighters have agreed to deep concessions. The mayor’s office says no firefighters will receive layoff notices until after next week’s contract ratification vote.