Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This Michigan-bred musician nails 29 celebrity impressions in one song
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- The polarizing reactions to the 'Hobby Lobby' case are more frightening than the Cold War
- Michigan’s arsenic problem is among the worst in the nation. Here’s why that matters.
- Here's how to test and treat your drinking water well for arsenic
Tue December 27, 2011
Man infecting people with HIV “an extremely serious health concern” in Kent County
51-year-old David Smith faces one count of failing to disclose his HIV status to a sexual partner.
The Kent County Health Department issued a press release Thursday afternoon that said it’s treating this as “an extremely serious health concern”:
Police say the suspect, 51 year old David Smith from Kent County, made statements that suggested his activities may have included people from outside of the area, including individuals he met over the internet.
Police say the man suggested that he was intentionally trying to spread the virus to as many people as possible, and that hundreds of people may have been exposed to HIV.
While the threat of transmission varies based on the activity, this is still an extremely serious public health concern. Anyone who is concerned should immediately have his or her HIV status tested. KCHD provides quick, safe, anonymous and confidential testing. Please call our Personal Health Services Clinic at 616.632.7171 for more information.
Smith’s motive is unclear.