Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
Tue December 27, 2011
Man infecting people with HIV “an extremely serious health concern” in Kent County
51-year-old David Smith faces one count of failing to disclose his HIV status to a sexual partner.
The Kent County Health Department issued a press release Thursday afternoon that said it’s treating this as “an extremely serious health concern”:
Police say the suspect, 51 year old David Smith from Kent County, made statements that suggested his activities may have included people from outside of the area, including individuals he met over the internet.
Police say the man suggested that he was intentionally trying to spread the virus to as many people as possible, and that hundreds of people may have been exposed to HIV.
While the threat of transmission varies based on the activity, this is still an extremely serious public health concern. Anyone who is concerned should immediately have his or her HIV status tested. KCHD provides quick, safe, anonymous and confidential testing. Please call our Personal Health Services Clinic at 616.632.7171 for more information.
Smith’s motive is unclear.