Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- Green goo growing in Lake Erie is not what you think it is
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Lawmakers vote to allow wolf hunts in UP
- Workers in Minnesota see wage gains, while workers in Michigan see steady wage losses
Fri June 17, 2011
Mayor Dave Bing: Dumas is out
Detroit Mayor Dave Bing says he’s requested and received the resignation of his communications chief, Karen Dumas.
The move comes just two days after a bombshell lawsuit filed by a former Bing aide. The suit claims Dumas created a hostile and unstable environment, and wielded unprecedented authority in the executive office.
Bing says he plans to return his focus to the challenges facing Detroit.
"The controversy of the last few days cannot and will not be a distraction to me or this administration."
Also out is Bing’s chief of staff, Shannon Holmes. Kirk Lewis will return to the administration to replace her. Lewis left the mayor’s office earlier this year, after reportedly seeking the job of emergency manager for Detroit Public Schools without Bing’s knowledge. The lawsuit filed this week, however, claims Bing knew about Lewis’s efforts, and even tried to help make it happen.