Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- The Detroit Free Press endorsement shows our system of government is broken
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Snyder and Schauer both wrong; potential revenue lost to schools is a billion dollars a year
- Here's why so few people get flu shots
Sat May 21, 2011
Memorial Day weekend may mean a little less 'green' for Michigan's tourist destinations
More than a million Michiganders are expected to get-a-way to some of the state’s favorite tourist spots next weekend. But they are not expected to spend much money Memorial Day weekend.
The AAA surveyed its members recently and found many plan to spend less of their vacation budget on restaurants and other amenities.
Nancy Cain is a AAA spokeswoman. “Because people are paying more for gas and other things, on average they are going to be spending less for the entire weekend. The spending will be about $692. That is down about 14% from last year.”
For Michigan AAA members, the 10 most popular driving destinations in Michigan (based on TripTik reports) this year are:
Mackinaw City/Mackinac Island
Sault Ste. Marie
For Michigan AAA members, the 10 most popular driving destinations throughout the United States are:
Yellowstone National Park