Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Wed October 9, 2013
Michigan cases linked to national salmonella outbreak
Michigan is among 18 states affected by an outbreak of salmonella.
Two of the nearly 300 confirmed cases of salmonella are in Michigan.
The outbreak has been traced to a California chicken producer, Foster Farms.
As it seems with many things these days, the federal government shutdown is involved.
The Centers for Disease Control has had to recall some furloughed workers to respond to the outbreak.
A state health department spokeswoman says the CDC is no longer doing in-depth investigations or providing reports to state health departments. CDC employees in Michigan have been furloughed.
Politics & Culture