Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Wed October 9, 2013
Michigan cases linked to national salmonella outbreak
Michigan is among 18 states affected by an outbreak of salmonella.
Two of the nearly 300 confirmed cases of salmonella are in Michigan.
The outbreak has been traced to a California chicken producer, Foster Farms.
As it seems with many things these days, the federal government shutdown is involved.
The Centers for Disease Control has had to recall some furloughed workers to respond to the outbreak.
A state health department spokeswoman says the CDC is no longer doing in-depth investigations or providing reports to state health departments. CDC employees in Michigan have been furloughed.
Politics & Culture