Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Fri March 4, 2011
Michigan high school player dies after winning shot
The Associated Press and USAToday are reporting that a 16 year old Fennville student died last night after making a game-making layup. From the AP:
The Fennville Schools superintendent says the basketball player who died last night after making a game-winning shot was "the quintessential all-American kid."
It's still not clear what caused the death of 16-year-old Wes Leonard, who collapsed on the court after making a last-second layup in Fenville's 57-55 win over Bridgman. The victory capped Fenville's undefeated season.
Leonard fell to the ground after teammates and fans rushed the court. Rescuers performed CPR, but he was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The junior was also the quarterback of the school's football team.
Grief counselors are on hand at the school today.