Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
Politics & Government
Fri July 13, 2012
Michigan to host Dem meeting before national convention
The Democratic National Committee will hold a Platform Committee meeting next month in Detroit, a major stop on the road to party's September convention in Charlotte, N.C.
The Democratic Party announced yesterday that the platform committee will meet Aug. 10 through 12. Participants are expected to discuss the party's draft platform, submit amendments and present it to convention delegates at the Charlotte convention.
Michigan Democratic Party Chairman Mark Brewer said the decision to hold the meeting in Detroit highlights Michigan's political importance.
In a statement on the Michigan Democratic Party website, Brewer said,
The Platform Committee has the critical task of drafting and voting on a platform to present to the delegates at the Democratic National Convention in September, and we are honored to host the committee members in Detroit. This distinction shows how important Michigan is to the Democratic Party and to the 2012 election effort. We welcome the elected officials and dignitaries of the committee to Michigan.
The 2012 Republican National Convention will be held in Tampa, Fl. this August.
-Elaine Ezekiel, Michigan Radio Newsroom