Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- The Detroit Free Press endorsement shows our system of government is broken
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Snyder and Schauer both wrong; potential revenue lost to schools is a billion dollars a year
- Here's why so few people get flu shots
Sat October 1, 2011
Michigan Marine 1 of 2 killed in Afghanistan
A Marine from Genesee County has been reported killed during combat operations in Afghanistan.
The military says Friday that 28-year-old staff Sgt. Nicholas Sprovtsoff of Davison and 27-year-old Sgt. Christopher Diaz of Albuquerque died Wednesday in Helmand Province.
Sprovtsoff was assigned to the 1st Marine Special Operations Battalion, U.S. Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command at Camp Pendleton, California. Diaz was assigned to Headquarters Battalion, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at Twentynine Palms, California.
The Flint Journal reported in 2009 that Sprovtsoff graduated in 2001 from Davison High School, about 50 miles north of Detroit. His mother, Sandee, told the newspaper in 2003 that he was "really committed to his nation and the people" who trained him.
War in afghanistan