Since the Japanese nuclear crisis began, the handful of pharmacies in Michigan that stock anti-radiation medicine are seeing an uptick in demand.
Potassium Iodide, also known as KI, provides some protection in case of radiation exposure. It helps reduce the chance of contracting thyroid cancer in case of an accident. 9 pharmacies in Michigan stock KI tablets. It’s part of a 5 year national program to provide the tablets to people living within 10 miles of a nuclear reactor.
Kelly Niebel is a spokeswoman for the Department of Community Health. "We do our mailings once a year to encourage folks to have that on supply and keep it as part of their emergency kit with all their other stuff at home.”
The state has given people living near Michigan’s 3 nuclear reactors vouchers for potassium iodide. But, you don’t need a voucher to buy the tablets. Here's a list of Michigan pharmacies that stock KI tablets: Participating Pharmacies
1) Shoreline Pharmacy 950 Blue Star HWY, SouthHaven, MI
2) Meijer Pharmacy 1920 Pipestone Rd., Benton Harbor, MI
3) Meijer Pharmacy 5150 S. Franklin St., Michigan City, MI
4) Meijer Pharmacy 1700 Telegraph Rd., Monroe, MI
5) Meijer Pharmacy 22600 Allen Rd., Woodhaven, MI
6) Kroger Pharmacy 850 Monroe St., Monroe, MI
7) Kroger Pharmacy 3833 N. Dixie Hwy., Monroe, MI
8) Kroger Pharmacy 20645 Gibraltar Rd., Brownstown, MI
9) Kroger Pharmacy 23849 West Rd., Brownstown Twp, MI