Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Thu March 13, 2014
Michigan Radio recognized as public radio station of the year
Michigan Radio was recognized Wednesday with eight awards from the Michigan Association of Broadcasters for achievement in broadcasting in 2013. The station’s awards include recognition as Public Radio Station of the Year – Group 2, an award Michigan Radio has won every year for the past 11 years.
In addition to Station of the Year, Michigan Radio also received five first place “best in category” awards and two merit awards in recognition of the station’s feature reporting, news series and news special/public affairs programs, in addition to other categories. Michigan Radio's innovative journalism and outreach project “State of Opportunity,” was honored for best community involvement.
Michigan Radio received MAB awards in the following categories:
- Station of the Year (Group 2)
First Place – Best in Category
- News Special or Public Affairs Program: “Unequal by Law” – Lester Graham
- Mini Documentary or Series: “Detroit Deals with Bankruptcy” – Sarah Cwiek, Sarah Hulett
- Feature/Use of Medium: “Kalamazoo Group Honors WWII Veterans” – Lindsey Smith
- Community Involvement: “State of Opportunity”
- Marketing Materials & Promos: “The Things That Matter” – Tamar Charney, Lindsey Smith, John K. Wilson
- Membership Appeal: “Making it Possible” – Tamar Charney, Mercedes Mejia, Tom Sleeker
- Musical Programming: “Songs from Studio East: Frontier Ruckus” – Mercedes Mejia
The Broadcast Excellence Awards program recognizes outstanding achievement in broadcasting by Michigan television and radio stations each year. All 2013 entries aired between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31, 2013. Michigan Radio competes in Group 2 of the Broadcast Excellence Award Divisions, which is for stations with more than $2 million budget. The awards were announced Wednesday evening at the MAB’s annual Great Lakes Broadcasting Conference in Lansing.
More information on the MAB awards is available here.