Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Sat January 5, 2013
Michigan's home builders expect more housing starts this year
Michigan’s homebuilders are predicting a 39% increase in new home construction this year.
Michigan’s home building industry collapsed during the recession, down to roughly six thousand new homes built in 2009.
This year, they’re hoping to build at least 14 thousand homes.
Bob Filka is the CEO of the Michigan Home Builders Association.
“Its good news, but it’s also all relative,” says Filka, “In the context of what used to be normal in construction in the state of Michigan, we’re really looking at about half of normal.”
Filka expects 2014 will bring even more growth in Michigan home construction, which could cause a new problem, a possible shortage of skilled carpenters to do the work needed.