Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
Thu February 27, 2014
Michigan's winter weather also chilling business
The brutal winter weather is taking a toll on Michigan retailers.
A major ice storm just before Christmas resulted in poor overall holiday season sales for many Michigan stores.
The brutally cold January that followed was just as bad, according to a new report by the Michigan Retailers Association, which says 46% of retailers report their sales were down last month, compared to January 2013. Only 30% said their cash registers were busier.
The gloom created by slow sales may carry over into the rest of the year.
The survey finds 58% of Michigan retailers expect 2014 sales will be better than 2013, but by only 1.4%.