Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
Tue September 14, 2010
In this morning's news...
Christmas Day Bomber to Represent Himself
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the man who tried to bomb a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day, appeared in court yesterday. It was his first court appearance since his arraignment in January. As Michigan Radio's Sarah Cweik reports, Abdulmutallab fired his federal defense team and is set to represent himself. A federal district judge approved the request but called it, "unwise."
Snyder and Bernero Share a Stage
After days of hearing about stalled debate negotiations between the candidates running for governor, GOP nominee Rick Snyder and Democratic candidate Virg Bernero ended up sharing a stage yesterday. The meeting came after Bernero showed up at a Snyder town hall meeting in Westland. Snyder invited Bernero to join him on stage and the candidates answered questions from the audience. There are still no scheduled debates in which both candidates have agreed to appear.
Another Enbridge Shutdown
It's being reported this morning that Enbridge Energy, the company responsible for the Kalamazoo River oil spill in July, has shut down a 91-mile oil pipeline near Buffalo, New York. Enbridge says about a gallon of a petroleum-based product was discovered when the line was exposed during a sewer installation project on Monday.