Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Host A Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Listening/Viewing Party
- 18 new charters opening this fall are already controversial
- What’s news, what’s fake news, and do all voters know the difference?
Tue October 19, 2010
In this morning's news...
Final Arguments in Carp Lawsuit
Attorneys for and against closing Chicago-area shipping locks made their final arguments yesterday. Michigan is one of five states arguing in court that closing the locks would ensure that the invasive Asia Carp won't overrun the Great Lakes. The oral arguments heard yesterday are the last step before Judge Robert Dow decides the issue.
Replacement for Robert Jones
The Kalamazoo Gazette reports that local Democratic Party leaders will meet today to name a replacement for Robert Jones on the November ballot. Jones died on Sunday and was running for state Senate in Michigan's 20th District. Jones had been battling esophageal cancer.
Candidates for Governor Won't Talk Cuts
Virg Bernero, Democratic nominee for Governor, says police, fire and other local government services would be a priority if he were governor. But, as Laura Weber reports, Bernero said he cannot promise he would not make further cuts to state payments to local governments. Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Snyder has also said he cannot make promises about funding cuts before he takes office.