Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Fri October 14, 2011
In this morning's news ...
A pair of presidents to tour Lake Orion GM plant
President Obama will be in southeast Michigan today to promote a new free trade agreement with South Korea. President Obama is scheduled to tour General Motor’s assembly plant in Lake Orion. South Korea’s president will accompany Obama. Congress this week approved a new free trade agreement with South Korea. South Korea is the world’s 13th largest economy.
Governor orders review of indigent legal defense system
Governor Snyder has ordered a review of how Michigan ensures that people charged with crimes are properly represented in court – even when they cannot afford to pay an attorney. The state's criminal justice system is often ranked among the worst in the country because it does not guarantee poor people get a proper defense.
Unlimited injury benefits may end
Michigan's House Insurance Committee Thursday approved a bill that would get rid of unlimited medical coverage to drivers in serious car accidents. The state's insurance commissioner says the move could help make auto insurance more affordable for the 20% of Michigan drivers who carry no coverage. Critics say the limits will leave some people unable to pay for catastrophic care. They also claim coverage wouldn't cost much less than it does now. The proposal now moves to the House floor.