Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
- Signed a petition to oppose Asian carp? You actually signed a petition to allow wolf hunting
Politics & Government
Fri June 21, 2013
In this morning's news: Medicaid vote, school budgets, bridge safety
Medicaid vote delayed
Governor Rick Snyder called out Republican state Senators for taking their summer recess before voting on Medicaid expansion. He is requesting that lawmakers return to vote on the legislation. Michigan Radio’s Jake Neher quotes Governor Snyder as saying “Please come do your job. Please come take a vote. Please come vote ‘yes.’”
School budget bill in Governor's hands
Bills allowing the state to dissolve debt-ridden school districts heads to Governor Snyder’s desk today. They were approved yesterday by the state House, with votes following party lines. Rick Pluta reports that this may enable the state to quickly shut down the Buena Vista and Inkster school districts.
Bridges in need of repair
1300 bridges in Michigan have been judged unsafe in a new study from Transportation for America. Jeff Cranson with the Michigan Department of Transportation believes that Governor Snyder’s 1.2 billion-dollar road investment bill will help fix the problem.