Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Fri May 10, 2013
Most popular names for Michigan dogs and cats
Failing schools, emergency managers, and problems at nuclear power plants have populated Michigan headlines lately.
Important, but not very cheery.
We thought we'd lighten your Friday by sharing a few stats from Banfield Hospital's State of the Pet report. Here are a few of our favorites.
These are the most popular names for dogs in Michigan (based on the 28,975 dogs that were seen in Banfield Hospitals in 2012):
What kind of dog do you have?
Labrador Retrievers, Shih Tzus, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas and Pit Bulls are the most popular breeds in Michigan.
So, if you have a Labrador named Bella, you're not alone.
Only 6,865 cats checked into Banfield Hospitals in Michigan in 2012.
Perhaps slightly uninspired, the most popular name for a cat in Michigan is - wait for it - Kitty.
Bella, Oliver, Max and Tigger are in the top five names, too.
Most unusual name for a cat in the national survey? Wisconsin takes the cake with Gizmo.
-- Lucy Perkins, Michigan Radio Newsroom
Environment & Science
Politics & Government