Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Fri May 10, 2013
Most popular names for Michigan dogs and cats
Failing schools, emergency managers, and problems at nuclear power plants have populated Michigan headlines lately.
Important, but not very cheery.
We thought we'd lighten your Friday by sharing a few stats from Banfield Hospital's State of the Pet report. Here are a few of our favorites.
These are the most popular names for dogs in Michigan (based on the 28,975 dogs that were seen in Banfield Hospitals in 2012):
What kind of dog do you have?
Labrador Retrievers, Shih Tzus, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas and Pit Bulls are the most popular breeds in Michigan.
So, if you have a Labrador named Bella, you're not alone.
Only 6,865 cats checked into Banfield Hospitals in Michigan in 2012.
Perhaps slightly uninspired, the most popular name for a cat in Michigan is - wait for it - Kitty.
Bella, Oliver, Max and Tigger are in the top five names, too.
Most unusual name for a cat in the national survey? Wisconsin takes the cake with Gizmo.
-- Lucy Perkins, Michigan Radio Newsroom
Environment & Science
Politics & Government