Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Fri May 10, 2013
Most popular names for Michigan dogs and cats
Failing schools, emergency managers, and problems at nuclear power plants have populated Michigan headlines lately.
Important, but not very cheery.
We thought we'd lighten your Friday by sharing a few stats from Banfield Hospital's State of the Pet report. Here are a few of our favorites.
These are the most popular names for dogs in Michigan (based on the 28,975 dogs that were seen in Banfield Hospitals in 2012):
What kind of dog do you have?
Labrador Retrievers, Shih Tzus, Yorkshire Terriers, Chihuahuas and Pit Bulls are the most popular breeds in Michigan.
So, if you have a Labrador named Bella, you're not alone.
Only 6,865 cats checked into Banfield Hospitals in Michigan in 2012.
Perhaps slightly uninspired, the most popular name for a cat in Michigan is - wait for it - Kitty.
Bella, Oliver, Max and Tigger are in the top five names, too.
Most unusual name for a cat in the national survey? Wisconsin takes the cake with Gizmo.
-- Lucy Perkins, Michigan Radio Newsroom
Environment & Science
Politics & Government