Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Awkward: UAW official praises Democratic candidate for governor while the GOP incumbent listens
- Michigan Republican party fails to address Dave Agema's bigotry and hatred
- Ypsilanti family finds happiness in living off the land
- Michigan's student homelessness problem is growing
- Go lake trout! Native fish overcome seemingly ‘insurmountable’ challenges in Lake Huron
Fri July 5, 2013
MSU's is top specialty license plate in Michigan
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - State records show Michigan State University's license plate is the No. 1 specialty plate in Michigan.
The Lansing State Journal reports Friday that a half-million of the MSU plates have been sold since it debuted in 2000.
That puts the East Lansing school squarely ahead of its rival to the southeast.
The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor's license plate has drawn about 362,000 patrons. That puts it in third place behind a patriotic plate that debuted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
Michigan State officials say the popularity of their plate likely stems from the school's large alumni base in Michigan.
The school has earned $6.2 million from the proceeds of the plates.