Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Budget deficit forcing school officials to close Albion High School
- The top 10 high schools in Michigan (according to two magazines)
- You have to see this stunning video of Michigan's Northern Lights
- Are people in Ironwood really afraid of wolves? (part 2)
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
Thu September 29, 2011
A new call for organ donors in Michigan
There’s a new push underway to get more Michiganders to sign up as future organ donors.
Michigan ranks 44th in the percentage of adults who are registered organ donors.
Richard Pietroski says that’s not good enough. He’s the chief executive officer of Gift of Life Michigan. Pietroski says the 3 thousand critically ill Michiganders waiting for an organ or tissue transplant have to wait longer than they should.
“Our patients in Michigan wait longer for a lifesaving transplant. And more people die waiting for that lifesaving procedure," says Pietroski.
The Secretary of State’s office is trying to get more people to sign up as organ donors when they get their driver’s licenses. Secretary of State Ruth Johnson says starting earlier this year…her staff was directed to start asking people if they wanted to be organ donors. The result? A 40 percent increase in the number of people signing up as organ donors.