Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
Sun January 12, 2014
New GM CEO hopes to inspire science students
The incoming CEO of General Motors hopes her appointment as the first woman to lead a global automaker will inspire young women and men to pursue careers in science.
Mary Barra's first appearance before reporters since getting the job eclipsed the rollout of the GMC Canyon small pickup truck.
Barra unveiled the truck and was immediately surrounded by hundreds of journalists Sunday at an old industrial site in Detroit.
She hopes her background as an electrical engineer encourages young people into studying science, technology, engineering or math.
She avoided a question about whether she's under more pressure because she's a woman, saying that she comes to work every day to work hard and focus on goals.
Barra addressed 11 questions with carefully scripted answers before leaving the building.
Politics & Government