Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Sat July 2, 2011
New MI sex offender registry law takes effect
Many teenagers convicted of having consensual sex with minors no longer will be listed on Michigan's sex offender registry. A new law took effect Friday. It exempts youthful offenders who have consensual sex with partners between the ages of 13 and 16. That’s provided the offender was not more than four years older than the victim.
The new law also requires that the most dangerous sex offenders be added to the registry for life. They must still report to the police four times a year.
Michigan risked losing a portion of its federal law enforcement funds if it did not make the changes.
From the Associated Press